Sunday 15 January 2012

Possible song choices..

My first song was 'Can't get used to losing you' by Andy Williams. 1963 record release.
It has this odd sound about it, it sounds happy yet I personally feel on the edge listening to it. It's what I expect to be in a horror movie, in a tense scene, trying to lighten the scene by juxtaposing it, heightening the atmosphere.
I think the reason it will fit in with my short film is because of how it will contrast with my downbeat storyline and feel of the film.
But, I won't be using this as it doesn't quite sound right and the lyrics are too love related, the only two lines that would fit are "Can't get used to losin' you no matter what I try to do
                                      Gonna live my whole life through-loving you"
These would relate if you were to perhaps change the meanings of loving a person to loving life, and how its not nice losing it, the lovely feeling of living life to the full.





Same song but by the The Beat. Same lyrics so I think they're too love and relationship related, and as my main character doesn't have a love interest I don't think the song is a good representation or isn't very related. I do prefer this version from the 80's though as its more upbeat and and I like the ska feel and the saxophone instrumental in the middle.




MY CHOSEN SONG .....The main song from one of my film inspirations 'eternal sunshine of the spotless mind' (2004). It's a beautiful song and really tugs at my emotions when I listen to it. It was originally by a band called The Korgis, but I think this version sounded too 80's as it had a techno style synth noise underneath, and I think this cheapened the sound of it.

The singer Beck done a cover of it and I preferred this one as it has more of a softer acoustic feel to it and it's very elegant and relaxing, it keeps with my slow paced feeling short film. The song sounds very lonely and gives me this empty feeling yet allows my head to think, listen to the lyrics and how the song flows effortlessly.

 Lyrics :
Change your heart
Look around you
Change your heart
It will astound you
I need your lovin'
Like the sunshine

Everybody's gotta learn sometime x3

Change your heart
Look around you
Change your heart
Will astound you
I need your lovin'
Like the sunshine

Everybody's gotta learn sometime x 3

I need your lovin'
Like the sunshine

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
Everybody's gotta learn sometime

Everybody's gotta learn sometime x3

Everybody's gotta learn sometime x3



I love the lyrics, they are very simple yet beautiful and inspiring. The line 'Everybody's gotta learn sometime' is repeated quite a lot but I don't think its repeated too many times for it to get annoying or boring. It links with my short film as I see it that the characters in it need to learn different lessons, whether its how to deal and live with the box head regime or why has the government gone to such drastic ways to suppress the people.

I definitely wanted this song and so instead of dealing with all the copyright stuff, as it was obviously copyrighted, I decided to record it myself and get a friend to help by playing the song with piano/guitar to keep it simple sounding. I'm not too good with music editing software so I will keep it minimal. I may or may not sing of get someone to sing as I want it  to sound professional, and someone else's voice could cheapen or ruin the feel of the song.

No comments:

Post a Comment