Thursday 12 January 2012

M Y P L O T

Having being compared to the film 'Equilibrium' (2002) by one of my focus group and target audience when I explained my plot to them you can already start to make your own assumptions of what it is going to be.
I researched the plot of Equilibrium and found that it was about a futuristic world that has got a strict regime that suppresses emotions and anyone that feels feeling is punished with death. Obviously there is the hero (Christian Bale) that can go against the regime, which I suppose in my short film is my main character.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0238380/      .....     Equilibrium trailer.



It is supposed to be set in the future about 50 years from now. It's not going to necessarily look futuristic or like it would come from the sic-fi genre as I want it to look realistic. Their length of life is normal and their form is like how we are now, apart from they have a box on their head.
The government has imposed a regime on everyone that every living person has to wear a box on their heads to ensure no one has their own identity. Clothes have to be of a bland nature and and conversations are restricted daily. The reason is that the government wants the world to carry on in peace and harmony, to ensure no wars and thus no creative freedom, no freedom of speech etc.
If they take their box off their head- simply they die. It sends an electric current to their brain-shocking them to death. This awful way of killing is to ensure people don't rebel against the regime. Which is why at the end of my short film when my main character see's his dead family in the garden, he realises that everyone's had enough of it all and has committed suicide and so he decides to do the same and when he lands dead on the floor the colour changes from black and white to bright vibrant colour, to symbolise that they've all gone to a better place.



I was going to have some dialogue in it but found it to be more effective without it. I was going to either have  "I suppose as soon as we are born, we start to die, just some are luckier than others, some are born with dents in their heads, some are the wrong way up, some weren't handled with care"

There were also some other scenes that I had in mind...


A flashback that would encounter him to be being interviewed by a high up government person asking him about rebellious nature and that any more and he would be in big trouble. Lighting would be spotlighted on him and it would be like good cop/bad cop.

In hospital, in a bed, a box-head woman is holding a baby-box head. The effect would be old and grainy to show it was the main character after being born.

No comments:

Post a Comment