Thursday 2 February 2012

Where will my magazine review go ???

An article from the Sight and Sound magazine which is an international magazine done by the BFI.
http://www.bfi.org.uk/sightandsound/newsandviews/news/issue-2012-02.php

Bright striking colours are used to catch an audience's eye and the fact that they use very recognisable photos from things mean people can relate. Sight and Sound magazine could be a possibility of me using it for my magazine article because of how it is an art house cinema stlye magazine, advertising some independent short film directors and their films. But I want to go for something different.... and so my search continues...




 I came across Empire magazine and looked at some of their interview layouts...

I liked how the red and blue complimented each other in this one but thought that how the woman dominated the page brought the attention away from the actual interview.
This one in Empire again but it's too comical when it comes to the questions. It's not serious enough, and once again the photo takes up most of the layout.
This one I prefer as it is an interview with a big director- Terry Gilliam.
The colour scheme of blacks and whites and greys is something that I would want on mine I think.

More colourful and warmer to look at, but the interview is with an actor and so I can't really relate it to mine.

 I love the simplicity of this layout and I have took great inspiration from it for my own magazine article film review, what with the information being displayed down the side and the screenshot from the film striking in its surrealness.


Some of the film magazines I looked through to find examples of interviews and film reviews to base my own on.











If anywhere, my magazine article would go in Empire but under a feature like a two page spread advertising up and coming British female directors (because they don't usually have articles on short films in Empire). Because the Empire magazine is Amerian I might need to show that the feature has a sponsor, for example it could be American Express as they sometimes sponsor stuff in it. 
Also because Empire is aimed at a male audience they wouldn't necessarily want my feature to be in it so I'd need a sponsor to fund it.


Taken from the magazine Total Film (which is still very much based at male target audience). Its very plain in layout and instantly the amount of writing puts me off slightly. You can tell its going to be a big interview/feature because of how his face on the right takes up the whole page.

















































No comments:

Post a Comment