Tuesday 14 February 2012

Analysing Film Posters... number 2


One of my inspirations when it came to films was 'Eternal Sunshine of the spotless mind'(2004, directed by Michel Gondry). When finding the film poster I was instantly attracted to its striking surrealism, the elements that I saw was what I wanted in my own poster. I love the grainy 35mm film like photos texture and the fact that you can see 3 of the main characters. The layout is interesting and a new fresh idea that I've never seen before. It's very postmodern in the way of it being paper, recycled with the ripping over the eyes, covering them from the truth, yet hiding their identity. The quotes/taglines covering their eyes link to the plot of the film and give insight to an audience who are perhaps naive to the film. 

I don't necessarily like the yellow colour of the title and tagline at the top. I think it looks too garish, attracting the eye away from the photos, which I think should be the main focal point (but maybe that's because I'm a photographer). The pun tagline at the top are clever in giving a little away, but not a lot. I think on my film poster I would like a clever sounding tagline to draw in my target audience.

I think the target audience that this poster was aiming at are people with perhaps a more broader mind of accepting difference, acknowledging the hidden meanings and thinking about things, analysing it, not just looking at it. More for the active audience and not the passive audience. Perhaps age range would be from early 20's to late 40's. Also as Gondry has released previous films his fans and followers would view this poster with great interest.

When thinking about where this poster could be advertised, I thought maybe the sides of buses or billboards as it would look striking and effective on a large scale, but because its more of an independent art house/indie film I don't think the budget for it would have stretched that far. Where it was actually advertised I'm not 100% sure, I'm guessing film magazines and in cinemas with the normal sized posters and perhaps online. It doesn't have an official website but this appeals to me more as not much can then be given away online.

In relation to how I want my film poster, I like the idea of the characters being shown, but on my own poster I am going to just show my main character but not all of him, keeping the mystery side of it still there. The reason of not having more than one character on my poster is because their faces (being boxes) look similar in drawn facial expression anyway, confusing the audience further.

No comments:

Post a Comment