Sunday 16 October 2011

analysing AVANT-GARDE

My main influence is surreal and obscure elements in films that stand out from the crowd with different techniques/camera angles and shots used.

I found the word Avant-Garde amongst the many words that may be used to describe elements in a film. The word itself refers to people who's work is seen as experimental or innovative.

 It is not often seen as the norm and pushes the boundaries of what is accepted of it,
primarily in the cultural realm. "The notion of the existence of the
avant-garde is considered by some to be a hallmark of
modernism, as distinct from postmodernism".

An example of a film that I have seen that you could class as having an avant-garde style is Mulholland Drive.
Its plot is unusual to say the least and no-one really knows what it means, me myself finding that I sit there shouting WHY and WHO and WHAT at the screen. But I suppose this makes it interestingly different, and my sorta film.

LINK :
Experimental Film-Wikipedia

thirty fives aside0 damian odonnels  1995 27 mins
john smiths black tower 1987 24 mins
anthony minghellas-play 2000 16 mins
tessa sheridans is it the design on the wrapper? 7 mins 1997
jonathons glazer-surfer, commercial 1999 one minute


vimeo


http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2010/dec/19/short-films-documentary-animation-viral


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ridley_Scott
what film directors think of short films


spike jonze- box head


the couple one walking down either path ?


short films in a film- paris je tame, others?

No comments:

Post a Comment